Physical Therapy & Common Treatments in Vero Beach
Being physically active in any way, especially when it comes to exercising or playing sports, is beneficial to both your physical and mental health. However, there's always a risk of injury, no matter how careful you may try to be.
If you've experienced a physical injury as a result of playing sports or exercising, you may want to seek out physical therapy in Vero Beach, FL to help heal quicker, reduce any pain or discomfort, and strengthen the area of your body that was injured to help prevent future problems. The following are six of the most common injuries that are often treated with physical therapy:
- Arthritis - A common misconception about arthritis is that it's a disorder that comes with age. While the elderly do develop arthritis more often than others, it's something that can develop as a result of repetitive motion, such as throwing a baseball or swinging a tennis racket. Arthritis can limit mobility and function as well as cause pain and discomfort, but fortunately, it can be treated by physical therapy.
- Dislocations - Dislocations occur when the ends of your bones are forced out of position. Common types of dislocations include finger dislocations and shoulder dislocations. They generally occur due to a blow or a fall, often in contact sports, such as football.
- Fractures - Fractures are breaks in the bone. Fractures can happen in any sport as a result of contact or falls. They can even occur in day-to-day life; for example, if you slip on a wet floor and fall down, you could fracture a bone if you're unlucky. Because you won't be able to use the affected body part until the fracture heals, your muscles around the fracture will weaken. Physical therapy can help strengthen your muscle tissue following a fracture.
- Lower back pain - Lower back pain can range in severity. Physical therapy can go a long way towards helping reduce lower back pain.
- Torn ligaments and tendons - Tearing a ligament or tendon can be incredibly painful. Surgery is often needed and physical therapy will help to recondition the damaged tissue once it's been surgically repaired.
- Tendinitis - Tendinitis occurs when soft tissue around muscles and bones becomes inflamed.
If you've experienced any of these injuries while playing sports or exercising, you should consider physical therapy in Vero Beach, FL. To schedule a physical therapy appointment in Vero Beach, FL, contact us at Florida Spine today.